Sunday, October 01, 2006

Worth a Damn

It’s been a busy weekend. Although today has been mostly R&R.

After some office work first thing Saturday, I was off to the University of Waterloo to check on the continuing ENGAGE! launch. We had volunteers staffing a booth at an Entrepreneur Week event at UW. Unfortunately, our booth materials were on there way to another event. The wrong event. So, after several minutes of calling and driving, the materials were tracked down, and delivered to UW.

I think we signed up some ENGAGE! members. Good news.

After some banking, and a quick lunch, it was off to Guelph for a Spectradigital board meeting. The company continues to make solid progress, but traction is always an issue with startups.

After the meeting is was back home for a few minutes before taking my eldest to hockey evaluations. I really enjoy watching him play, but must admit to working away on my Blackberry during some of the times when he’s on the bench.

Today I golfed. The usual weekly round. Played ok. I continue to learn more about Straight-Line Golf, the simplified swing that we teach at Parmasters. I really struggled last Sunday, but went back to the basics this past week, figured out what I was doing wrong, and played much better today. If it were not for some poor short putting, I could have been just three over on the back. The front was less impressive.

There’s a “starter” – the guy that ensure the continuous stream of golfers heading off from the first tee remains orderly and timely – where I play that would be a fantastic addition to the staff at Parmasters KW. We’re still about nine months away from opening, but I did start the conversation today.

He has a fantastic personality, clearly really enjoys people, loves the game and what the game means. I believe he’s semi-retired. Perhaps …

At Parmasters, when hiring, we first look for the value system, and the love of people and the game, that are all critical to success. We then continue to screen for skill sets, communication skills, etc.

And of course, we ensure that the work is rewarding. This quote came from a television show, of all places, but it resonates:
If you want someone worth a damn in the job, you'd better make sure the job is worth a damn. -television show, Commander and Chief

No comments: