Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Thomas H. Southern – 1934-2008

I haven’t blogged since February 21. I had an entry ready for February 22, but I ran out of time on that day, my birthday, and didn’t get it posted. And I haven’t blogged since, because I haven’t had time, and haven’t known what to say.

My Dad passed away shortly after 11:00pm on the evening of my birthday, Friday February 22, 2008. He was pronounced deceased in the early hours of February 23, at Ross Memorial Hospital in Lindsay, Ontario.

This post is about my Dad. He was a truly great man.

SOUTHERN, Tom – Entered into rest at the Ross Memorial Hospital in Lindsay on Saturday, February 23, 2008 in his 74th year.

Thomas H. Southern of Cannington was the beloved husband of Jean Profit of Cannington. Loving father of Stephen of Kitchener and Anne of Lindsay. Lovingly remembered by his grandchildren and by his sister Doreen (Bill) Elburg of Cannington and by niece Jane and nephews John and Jim.

Friends are invited to call at the Thorne Funeral Home in Cannington on Friday, February 29th from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. Funeral service from Trinity United Church, Cannington on Saturday at 2 p.m. Interment Cedar Vale Cemetery.

As a remembrance donations to a charity of your choice would be appreciated by the family. Order of the Eastern Star Service Friday evening at 6:30 p.m; Masonic Lodge Service Friday evening at 7:00 p.m.


I did my very best to eulogize my Dad appropriately. My attempt, as woefully inadequate as it is, is reprinted below.

Dad’s Eulogy
Died: February 23, 2008
Funeral: March 1, 2008

I want to thank you all for being here today, to support my Mom, and to help us say good bye to Dad. It means a lot to us. Dad loved to have fun. He loved to enjoy life. He firmly believed that people should work to live. And not live to work. He did his best to teach us, his children, this lesson.

Dad was born and raised in Toronto, in the Danforth Avenue area. He grew up on a little street called West Lynne, and had experiences there that shaped the rest of his life. His Father, my Grandpa Henry Southern, was a baker and businessman. His Mother, my Grandma Dora Southern, made the home.

Dad was involved in scouting and cubs at a young age. When he was late for supper he could often be found playing marbles with a local friend, or crokinole, or cards. Cards. He loved playing cards, whether it was euchre, cribbage or any other game. Or perhaps he was over at the TTC street car depot, fascinated, and having fun.

From an early age Dad learned the do’s and don’ts of the service industry. Everyone here knows that Dad could and would strike up a conversation with just about any stranger he came across. We always believed that he was just born that way, loving people and a good conversation. Of course, as children, Anne and I also wondered if he was just trying to really embarrass us all the time. But perhaps it was his early and continual work in the service industry, where he developed the skill to talk to anyone and everyone. And it just became second nature.

My Grandpa Henry Southern worked for Canada Bread, delivering bread door to door, with a horse and wagon. On Saturdays, at a very young age, Dad would walk up West Lynne to Danforth Avenue and meet Grandpa at a local drug store ... that also included a soda fountain! Dad would enjoy his soda treat, Grandpa would pay, and then they would both proceed to complete Grandpa’s bread route.

Having entered his early teen years, Dad took on a paper route, delivering both the Star and the Telegram. He then proceeded to grow his route, and purchase new adjacent routes as they became available. He built his empire up to some 100 plus customers! Delivering these papers could have taken quite a long time each day, but Dad devised a system. He could wrap papers up so tight that he could throw them from the street and land them neatly on each front porch. He also contracted out, paying my Aunt Doreen to make deliveries on West Lynne.

Dad used his paper route funds to treat himself periodically. He worked to live. These treats included picking up some French fries, or chips, at a local fish and chip store. And the rest of his life, he was a connoisseur of French fries.

Dad also played hockey with the Toronto Star Carriers. He played goal.

My Aunt Doreen has told me that Dad’s favourite part of school was at the end of the day, when the class was dismissed. School simply wasn’t his thing. And so it was no surprise that he quit high school on the day of his 16th birthday.

Dad’s parents, my grandparents, had come up to the Cannington area to visit Dad’s Uncle Richard, and they learned that the Brandon’s Model Bakery was for sale. The deal was closed on January 1, 1950 and Grandpa Southern, along with his brother Wylie, took over on May 18 of that same year. Dad turned 16 the day before, on May 17, 1950. He quit school and joined Grandpa, working in the bakery.

Being new in town, Dad quickly developed many life-long friendships. This young group of gentlemen would meet out at the three bridges on Saturday nights and then decide what to do for the evening. The group included Harry, Wes and Emery Southern, my Uncle Bill Elburg, Jim Gordon of course, Bob Hurlbut, Eric Parliament and others. I remember Dad telling me that this group used to laugh at the new city-slicker that felt he should lock his car as it sat out at the three bridges. They laughed that is, until thieves broke into their cars. This group often ended up at a local dance, which is how Mom first met Dad.

In their early 20’s, Aunt Doreen was looking for a ride to these local Saturday night dances, and Dad wanted to learn how to dance. A deal was struck. Grandma Dora Southern pumped up the player piano and brother and sister, student and teacher, danced around the dining room table.

Mom and Dad met at a dance in Mount Albert on a Saturday night in the mid-1950’s. They married in Zephyr in 1959.

By the mid-1960’s Grandpa Southern wanted to slow down, and the Model Bakery and land would be sold off. Mom and Dad looked at bake shops in Bobcaygeon and Orangeville, but decided to buy the old theatre on the Cameron Street here in Cannington. Southern’s Bakery opened shortly thereafter. Dad had worked for Grandpa. Now Grandpa was working for Dad.

By the early 1970’s Grandpa Southern had to stop working entirely, and it was difficult to find other employees. The bake shop was eventually sold, in 1973.

Throughout the 1970’s and 80’s Dad worked at the Briar’s Resort on Lake Simcoe, and also had various other businesses on the go. He and Mom also purchased a Chip Truck, and so his love of French fries continued. Throughout the Chip Truck years, thousands of customers came to know my Dad as Uncle Ernie, which was the name on the side of the truck when it was purchased. Dad took that truck to fairs and festivals, and also parked in Kirkfield for quite some time, serving cottage travellers.

Apparently he decided that I should also learn how to serve and interact with customers, as he left me high and dry one day at the Kinmount Fair. He had asked me to help cook fries that day. I agreed, but only after he assured me that I wouldn’t have to serve the customers. As some of you may remember, I was pretty shy! Well, sure enough, just as the first really large group of customers was approaching, my Dad announces that he had to use the washroom. And he left! Just left! I considered closing the truck window and posting a closed sign, but we didn’t have any such sign. And where would I hide? Ten minutes later Dad came back to find me frying fries, taking orders and serving our customers. I think he was pretty pleased with himself.

As the 1980’s rolled into the 90’s, Dad started to slow down. The chip truck was sold and Dad spent less time working at the Briars, and in other enterprises. This of course, allowed him more time to do what he loved.

Dad had many interests and things he loved to do. The list definitely includes watching sports, playing cards, shooting pool and curling. He was one of the founding members of our Cannington Curling Club. Dad loved to curl. And church suppers of course. Dad was a great supporter of church supper and would drive far and wide to attend. He also loved a great conversation, whether it was a fun argument with Jan Rendering, a chat with a stranger, or a debate over the Leaf’s, or business, or both. Dad often pursued and enjoyed these conversations over a coffee, or breakfast, at a local restaurant. He often did so with his nephews, John and Jim. We enjoyed countless trips to the family cottage near Carnarvon.

And of course, Dad loved time with his children, and his grandchildren. Dad would do anything for us, and he did. Time and time again.

In December 2006 Dad, along with my sons Braden and Ben, paid a visit to his old Toronto neighbourhood, West Lynne. It was an emotional time for all of us. He loved being back in the old neighbourhood.

Last Friday, February 22nd, Mom and Dad joined Bev and Murray Bailey at a church supper in Fenelon Falls. Something Dad loved to do. Later that evening they all returned to the Murray residence to play cards and visit. Cards and conversation, two more things that Dad loved to do. He had a great time on his final day with us here, and for that we are eternally thankful.

Anne and I had a great Dad. We HAVE a great Dad, for he’s still here, with us, guiding us. He made me what I am today. He shaped me. And trust me, any shortcomings that some of you may see. They’re not because Dad didn’t try. I simply wasn’t listening as carefully as I should have.

Thank you all for being here today.

We love you Dad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy, hope things are getting back to normal. It's a tough time...I know. Take care, talk to you soon.

JB (of the "Classic" JB)

ps
I told you I kept an eye on you !