Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Which Wolf Do You Feed?

Trivia: “Which of the four major championships is held at the same course each year? A) The Masters B) U.S. Open C) British Open D) PGA Championship” This one is easy! And of course, the “British Open” should really be presented for what it is, “The Open Championship”. Answer below.

It’s been another crazy and busy day at Parmasters KW. We made some good progress on many fronts. By the end of the day, as always, I was quite tired. And I should likely be in bed, but just wanted to share a quick story/lesson/legend that was related to me today.

I meet each week, generally on Wednesdays, with one of our shareholders. I asked for his time because it’s clear to me that he’s one of the most intelligent, no-nonsense and results-oriented business minds that I know. The meetings are part brainstorming, part mentoring, part refocusing and sometimes I get told I’m wrong. It’s all good.

Today this old, apparently Cherokee, legend came up.


An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.

"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego." He continued, "The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

- Excerpted from the First People website, www.firstpeople.us, found here.


This evening I had a wonderful time with a great friend and her son. I enjoyed stories about hockey, skating, video games, his many friends, his teacher, his school and the list goes on and on. He’s a wonderful young lad, so full of life. It was a perfect and relaxing evening to end a long, hard day.


And just a few moments ago I walked past a photograph of my father. I still can’t believe he’s gone. There’s not a day that passes that I don’t think of him. Tonight the thought occurred that my father is likely chuckling just a little, at my expense, up in heaven. He told me, as I purchased the Parmasters franchise rights, that I was about to lose one of my favourite, relaxing, de-stressing activities. Golf!

I told him he was crazy, of course. I mean, I was entering the golf business. Of course I would golf more, or at least just as much. I certainly wouldn’t golf less than I did before I entered the industry. But, time has proven my father to be correct! I’ve golfed just a handful of times this year, including one and only one full, 18-hole round. I’ve practiced even less!

I miss my father more than words can describe. And as every day since his death passes, I gain increased understanding that he was a great man. And yes, he was right about my golf game!


Soon time to turn in. Choose your wolf carefully. My father did.


And the answer: “A) The Masters has been held at the Augusta National Golf Club since its inception in 1934.”

No comments: