Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Competitor Scan

Shorter day today, as I didn’t get up and work out. My injured wrist kept me from sleeping much last night, and thus I had little energy for a workout. I feel guilty. I don’t skip many workouts, but it does happen, and I always feel some guilt. I clearly couldn’t have lifted any weights with this wrist, but could have gone for a run.

If the wrist is not better tomorrow, I’ll be off to see a doctor.

Today was spent communicating with potential, or should I say ‘future’, investors, and also doing some research.

I went back and continued my search for local – within an hour or two – indoor and outdoor golf practice facilities. There are lots of ‘driving ranges’, but not many practice facilities, and very few indoor facilities. I did this same research while considering the franchise, of course. But it never hurts to go back and see if anything has changed, or if there are new competitors.

Most facilities identified are either golf domes (bubbles) or small, strip-mall operations with two or three simulators and a food service area. Most are located in the greater-Toronto area (GTA).

I’m not going to name these competitors here, as I don’t necessarily need them to know about me just yet. And many may have Google Alerts, or some other technology, scanning the web for mention of their name.

The competitive landscape has not really changed since our decision mid-summer to proceed with the franchise. There are competitors, but not many. And we definitely have a large niche to fill.

Tomorrow, we visit more potential sites/buildings. I must also check on our ongoing ENGAGE! work during Communitech’s Entrepreneur Week. Lots of meetings. Should get some rest…

No comments: