Saturday, September 16, 2006

Becoming a Straight-Line Golfer

Today started like most others, with a (fairly) healthy breakfast and a quick read of the local newspaper. We then packed up some lunches and headed to The Bruce Trail for a few hours of walking/hiking. It was nice, and quite quiet. We lunched at the foot of Webster's Falls.

Many people ask me about my conversion to Straight-Line Golf™. At Parmasters, we guarantee a 25% reduction in your handicap, or your money back. We do so by teaching a simplified golf swing. Our Co-Founder and Chief Golf Professional, Scott Hazledine, has spent his professional life studying the way the human body works, and developing the Straight-Line Golf™ swing that we teach.

Of course, as the local Parmasters franchisee, I have converted to this simplified swing. My conversion began with a 45-minute lesson at Parmasters Memphis on June 17 of this year. This was not a formal, structured, Parmasters golf lesson. This was really simply 45-minutes with the Assistant Manager of Golf at Parmasters Memphis, combined with a few minutes spent with Scott.

Since that time, I have continued to learn more and more about Scott’s philosophies, and the swing.

Parmasters clients will be offered a full eight hours of structured training. Those that wish to truly master the swing can continue on with 24 half-hour lessons spread over six months.

I had 45-minutes, unstructured.

As you might imagine, over the past two or three months there have been some struggles. I have no doubt that if I had been able to take the full eight hours of structured training, I would not have struggled over the past few months. Scott has been teaching this swing for many years, and offering a money back guarantee. No one has ever asked for his/her money back. You can read a series of testimonials here.

I have struggled because I was not using the Straight-Line Golf™ swing. I was using parts of it, but also making things up, on my own, to fill in some of the blanks. Basically, I was using a hybrid swing, including some of the elements from the traditional golf swing that most golfers use.

Well, I’m happy to report, that I am finally making some strong progress. When I played on Thursday of this week, most approach shots were very crisp. I still have some work to do on the long ball, but for the most part, I really see my game coming around.

This is exciting! I’m starting to feel what our clients will feel, starting next summer, when we open.

As has often been said, there aren’t many feelings that compare to a long, long walk, with your putter in your hand.

For now, hit it well, but not too often!

No comments: