Friday, March 09, 2007

More Productive Days

I find that my ability to handle volume – the amount of work – waxes and wanes. I’m sure that’s very natural, and that we’re all the same. We have good days and bad, productive days and days when productivity slips.

I’ve been giving a lot of thought lately to the factors that lead to good days, productive days, and the factors that lead to bad/unproductive days.

And clearly there’s a value system element to all of this. In the text above, I’m equating a “good” day to a “productive” day. That’s a value judgment. At this point in my life, and our business, I value productivity very highly. But others might equate a “good” day with a “lazy” day, or a “peaceful” day, or a “bright and sunny” day. All are value judgments. There’s no right or wrong answer. Just values.

I know that during a productive day, my energy is high, very little phases me. I can make decisions quickly and readily. I can quickly dispense of many small tasks and also really focus in for extended periods of time on more complex tasks.

And since we purchased the franchise rights to Parmasters, and we’ve been working at this business, almost all days are “productive” days. Very few are unproductive. That stems, at least partly, from passion, conviction, loving what you’re doing, having fun, having a clear vision/picture of success, and a clear plan/path to get there.

So the problem is not really productivity. And it’s not that I have many unproductive days. The answer is simply, how to eliminate the few unproductive days.

And of course, as I type this, I’m also reminded of life balance, and the writings of Jay Paterson within this blog. Always lots to think about.

No comments: