Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Are You Good To Yourself?

It’s been a busy couple of days with meetings, events and a lot to accomplish. I introduced myself to two other indoor golf operators at a Chamber of Commerce event on Tuesday evening. I’d be happy to meet with them, but I’m not certain they’re keen to do so.

Larry King (CNN) dedicated another hour to The Secret recently. I recorded it and watched it late Tuesday evening. One quote stood out for me. Please note, I’m paraphrasing.

“Do you treat yourself the way you want other people to treat you?”

I’m very hard on myself, and always have been. I know many others that are equally tough on themselves. I demand a lot, whether it is a lot of work, a lot of skill, kindness, understanding, intelligence, knowledge, perfection, accuracy, etc. I suspect many of us are like this. We’re our own worst critics. And yet, how can we expect others to treat us better than we treat ourselves?

I then began to consider another quote.

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” -Max Planck, Nobel Prize-winning physicist

So, as one extrapolates …

When you change the way you look at yourself, your self changes.

This took me ultimately to a quote favoured and indeed evidenced by my friend and colleague Hardy Premsukh.

“I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavour.” -Henry David Thoreau (from Walden: Or, Life in the Woods)

And lastly, since I’ve been so actively quoting this evening, here’s one last piece of borrowed prose to bring some levity to this oh so serious blog post. This quote is largely unrelated to the above topic, and also sadly reflective of much of society (myself, and I’m sure you also, excluded).

“Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the local BAR.” -television show, Drew Carey

I encourage you to treat yourself the way you want others to treat you!

No comments: