Thursday, September 28, 2006

What's Your Niche?

I’ve just returned from a little shopping. Not for me, of course. Not sure if/when entrepreneurs ever shop for themselves. My eldest son starts hockey on Saturday. As he continues to quickly approach my general size, he often requires larger equipment. This time round it was shoulder and elbow pads, pants and skates. Two hours later, back to work.

During the seminar yesterday, I was asked a question that, surprisingly, I had not been asked before. What is your (i.e. Parmasters’) niche?

There are other ways to phrase the question, such as:
- what pain do you solve?
- what are you best in the world/market at doing?

In the technology sector, where a lot of my experience lies, start-up companies must be able to complete the following sentence:
“We are best in the world at , and companies/people like will buy our product because they suffer from pain.”

You have to solve a pain. There must exist a problem that you address, better than any other company out there. And the pain must be sufficient such that people/companies will pay you to solve it.

I’m not sure how Parmasters would answer this question. The answer may exist on our website.

However, from my perspective, the pain that we address is frustration related to golf. It may be an inability to play well; however, each individual defines the term “well”. It may be an inability or lack of desire to walk/ride around a golf course. It may be a desire to practice, a lot. It may be a desire to play regardless of the weather conditions. It may be a desire to play faster, or more frequently.

We offer, under a single roof, a range of tools, facilities and experiences that will help you solve almost all golf related frustration. That, in my opinion, is our niche.

And yes, we are (or at least, we will be) the very best in the market. Guaranteed.

No comments: