Saturday, September 09, 2006

Rainy Day - Important, Non-urgent Tasks

It’s a grey day outside, which resulted in some cancelled golf. I was supposed to play in a little mini-tournament with some friends from Maplesoft, but it was postponed due to a questionable weather forecast and some scheduling conflicts. I don’t get out to play as much as I’d like, so I’m always a little disappointed when a game is postponed. But this did free up several hours and allowed some “catch-up” time in the office.

I tend to accumulate important, but non-urgent tasks, for just such a day. I keep the tasks organized, in a neat pile, or filed away, as the case may be. Every few months, something like this golf postponement happens, and I find myself with several hours of “unscheduled” time. The perfect opportunity to catch up on those important, but non-urgent tasks.

Of course, days like this also offer the opportunity to simply get away for a few hours, to capture some family time, to meditate, etc. But today was definitely a time for catch-up.

I’ve never really minded golfing in a light rain. I think you simply have to be prepared for the conditions – both mentally and physically – and then be rather meticulous on the course, ensuring that you keep your grips dry, etc. You’re only out from under your umbrella for a few seconds as you hit each shot.

Heavy rain, or cold or windy conditions, I’m not a fan of these, and generally pass.

I actually tend to play fairly well in the rain, and have played some of my better golf in wet conditions. For me that means somewhere in the low 80’s. I’ve also carded a couple of 79’s, but those were in near perfect conditions.

No comments: