Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Good Timber

Just my third post and I'm already getting repetitive. An entrepreneur's days (whether he/she is a franchisee or otherwise) are long. My day started once again with an hour of weights and cardio (I try to work out 3 times a week), and it will end with some late night reading.

I'm sure all entrepreneurs go through this. And this is not the first company I've founded, so I've been through this before. The workload is simply astounding. I work hard at being very focused, very organized, very efficient and effective. One must first figure out what needs to be done, and then effectively and efficiently complete the task.

Much more on goal setting and staying organized in future posts. It's one of my passions. Jim Estill, a friend and mentor, is both a guru and a continual student of time management.

To complete this thought, I have a lot of capacity (to get a lot of 'stuff' done), and am quite adept at figuring out what needs to be done. But, I must continually improve. I must develop new systems to handle the workload.

For me, it's a period of adjustment. I'm adjusting to this (much) heavier workload.

It’s also a period of adjustment for my family, friends and colleagues. All are used to a certain amount of time, attention, and interaction from me. In most cases, this time is currently being reduced. In all cases, but obviously especially with family, it’s incredibly important to talk about this, to work hard to have “meaningful” time together, to stay very connected.

“Good timber does not grow with ease. The stronger the wind, the stronger the trees.” (I have no attribution for this. If you do, please advise.)

No comments: