Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Asset Optimization

Today was not your typical day in the life of an entrepreneur. It started with a good workout – all weights, no cardio – and then continued into a day long seminar by Jay Paterson and Lee Brower of Empowered Wealth Canada. This evening I attended a Leadership Waterloo Region event.

Jay and his team are doing some amazing things. I’m just starting to learn about their philosophies and approaches, so I’m not ideally suited to try to explain. I urge you to link on over to their website.

However, in a nutshell, they’re focusing on systems and a vocabulary to help families manage and optimize their assets.

Here’s the thing though. They don’t limit their focus to financial assets, which is the first thing you (and I) thought of when the word “asset” appeared. Families have all kinds of other assets:
- Knowledge
- Skills
- Experience
- Values
- Contributions to society
- Health and health practices
- And the list goes on …

I find it all fascinating. Of course, I’m a “systems” guy …

At both events attended today, I spoke to many potential investors, and many future customers/members of Parmasters Kitchener-Waterloo. It’s fun watching peoples’ eyes light up when I describe what we’re building, and what we’ll do for their enjoyment of golf.

Perhaps, in the not too distant future, a better, simplified golf swing, golf knowledge, will be one of the “assets” that a family will pass on to future generations. Perhaps Jay will be involved. Perhaps it’s a very small world after all.

No comments: