Thursday, February 01, 2007

Systems Thinking ... And Buying

I'm sitting in the Hamilton Airport about to board. This is a great little airport. You drive up quite close to the terminal and park. Then it's just a very short walk into the terminal. Check in is just inside the doors. You're usually greeted as you enter, although that didn't happen this morning. Perhaps I didn't look very cheery.

I noted also, that there's no traffic light where the airport road meets highway 6 south (the main thoroughfare). Not enough volume I guess.

Unfortunately, check-in was not very smooth. There were three agents. Two of them were located beneath a large sign that read "Self-service check-in bag drop". Since no one was using the self-check-in option, most travellers lined up with the third agent.

It's a great sign. I'm sure all agreed as they viewed the final design in the meeting room. But, as Paco Underhill notes in Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping (previous blog entry, November I believe, not sure how to link when blogging remotely), the retail environment must be observed - the actual environment - before it can be analyzed and understood.

It's a lesson I take very much to heart, and that I will discuss this week at Parmasters HQ, as we clearly want our retail environment to function very well.

"Simple, clear purpose and principles give rise to complex and intelligent behaviour. Complex rules and regulations give rise to simple and stupid behaviour." -Dee Hock

No comments: