Monday, November 27, 2006

Sunday Afternoons

I meant to do a blog entry over the weekend, but never did get to it. Saturday was our Southern Family Day – so no work! – and Sunday was spent on some high priority and high leverage activities.

I’d prefer to not work on Sundays, but for now it simply seems like there’s too much to do in only five or six days a week. From the age of about 12 to about 18 I worked on many farms that surrounded my little home town of Cannington, Ontario. My two primary employers were a fellow named Jim Gordon, who was my father’s best friend, and my eventual father-in-law, John Warvill. Jim was my father’s best man when my parents married, and vice versa. I met John at my grade 8 graduation ceremony, and eventually married “the farmer’s daughter.” We lost Jim to cancer several years ago. Happily John is still very much with us.

The point is, I was working one Sunday afternoon for Jim, picking stones. For those that are not initiated, this involves walking through a field, with a wagon near by, and harvesting any significant boulders that have surfaced (due to plowing, frost, etc.). Jim had a home made wagon, pulled by a team of Belgian horses. He preferred horses to tractors for many odd jobs like this. So did I.

On this particular Sunday, towards the end of the day, I was riding on the wagon, with my legs dangling over the side. My foot got caught under the rear right tire. I was immediately hauled off the wagon, my knee and hip wrenched into very uncomfortable contortions!

I decided then and there that God was serious about this “day of rest” stuff. Unfortunately, for now at least, it seems seven days a week must be the norm.

We spent part of Saturday at a used book sale hosted by a seniors centre in Kitchener. I love used book sales. It’s a treasure hunt. I came away with Sir Winston Churchill’s six volume account of WWII, plus some Hemingway, Keats and others.

I’ve also just returned from a church meeting. I serve as Financial Secretary on our Special Gifts Fund Committee. The Fund exists to serve those members of the congregation that wish to plan a gift to the church as part of their estate planning.

And this afternoon I met with a gentleman that runs a contracting business out of Windsor. We’ve been trying to connect for a while. He was in the area. Last minute. I had to adjust my schedule, but the meeting was worth while. While I’m currently focusing on Waterloo Region, I will eventually be opening centers in London and Windsor, and elsewhere. This fellow’s company will tender on the construction aspect, plus he’s well connected throughout London and Windsor.

For now, time to rest, do some reading, and prepare for tomorrow.

No comments: