Thursday, November 16, 2006

PDAs as Efficiency Tools

I mentioned in an earlier post that I keep lists of ideas related to Parmasters Waterloo Region. These ideas may come from personal experiences, books I’m reading, conversations, etc. The point is, the ideas are captured and ready for future scrutiny, refinement and perhaps implementation.

I believe strongly in the use of some form of personal digital assistant (PDA) as an efficiency and effectiveness tool. The founding President of Communitech (a local technology and advocacy organization), Vince Schiralli, first turned me on to PDAs around 2000. At that time I purchased a Palm m100. Today I use my BlackBerry.

Almost all PDAs include the following capabilities:
- calendar
- task list
- contact list
- memo/note pad

Calendar – This is mostly obvious. I always have my calendar with me. But the key is, note all of your commitments in your calendar. Don’t just use it for work. The mundane tasks of life – working out, a shower, banking, eating – all take time, and thus should be blocked off in your calendar. My son’s hockey games and practices are blocked off in my calendar. This helps you manager your own expectations regarding how much time you actually have available.

Task List – There are two key points here. First, capture every task and/or commitment. Credibility is critical in business, and nothing zaps your credibility faster than not following through on a commitment. I’ve been in countless meetings where an individual has been assigned several tasks/commitments within the first few minutes of the lengthy meeting, and he/she has not recorded any of them. Will he/she meet those commitments? Generally not. Open your PDA, and note the task, immediately. That tells your colleagues that you’re committed to making the commitment.

Also, tasks should be categorized. We all play many roles in life. I am husband, father, son, friend, entrepreneur, consultant/director, home owner, volunteer, etc. Each task/commitment is associated with one of the roles in your life. Categorization helps you understand the nature of your commitments, where you’re stretching yourself thin, where you’re spending time and where you need to focus.

Contact List – This too is rather obvious. I have contact information for everyone in my network, always in hand. That’s powerful.

Memo/Note Pad – I suspect most people really under-utilize this capability. I am a strong believer in lists. I keep all lists in my BlackBerry, in various memos. This is an amazing efficiency tool.
Examples:
- Goals – I keep my evolving list of goals, and related thoughts and tactics, with me at all times. Thus, I can review them, or work on them, whenever I have a few minutes of down time (like in a checkout line).
- Shopping – Most Canadian home owners have a small but continual list of items that they (believe they) require from Canadian Tire, or Rona, or Home Depot. But most don’t keep the list. Mine is always with me. When I find myself driving past said store, with a few minutes before my next appointment, I can use that time to check some items off of my list.
- Ideas – Already mentioned. I can capture these and work on them anywhere, anytime.
- Books – I capture key points from books and have them handy for review. I also keep lists of books that I want to read, books that I’ve loaned out, etc.
- Gift Ideas – People drop hints all the time. Don’t spend time scratching your head come Christmas, or a birthday. Capture ideas as they appear, and have them handy when the time comes.

I’ve only scratched the surface of this topic. PDAs are fantastic efficiency tools.

As I refer to my BlackBerry, it’s clear that I have meetings most of the day, and it’s now time to prepare.

No comments: