Friday, December 15, 2006

Much To Learn

We’ve hosted two investor conference calls over the past two days (yesterday and today). The President, CEO and Co-founder of Parmasters Golf Training Centers, Tom Matzen, presented during both calls. The attendees are all considering an investment in our franchise, so I asked Tom to spend some time with them.

On Thursday we went through a presentation. Today it was simply Q&A.

While listening to Tom speak, I was continuously reminded of just how much I have yet to learn about this business. It’s a bit like an iceberg. I understand on all that is on/above the surface. But that is only, obviously, a small part of the story.

I will go through extensive training once we have a site secured. (And we’re working night and day to find a site.) I will become familiar with the operations manual, all 6,000+ pages, and growing. I will be certified to teach Straight-Line Golf™. The ops manual offers a detailed procedure for virtually every aspect of the business. I have much learning to do.

So, would I like to have all of this knowledge today? Yes, of course. Is that or was that possible? No, absolutely not.

It’s like all things in life. Acknowledge the current situation. Don’t fool yourself. Don’t deny where you are today, or deny the current situation. Acknowledge it. Then decide where you want to be and when you want to be there. And finally, build a plan to move from the current state to the desired future state.

And so, I must ask more questions. I must do more reading. I must spend more time with other franchisees, my regional franchisor, and others. I must do a little more to build my knowledge base a little faster than I am currently.

At the same time, I’m reminded of this quote:

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish. -John Quincy Adams

No comments: