Monday, December 04, 2006

Focus and Free Days

I saw Bob Proctor and others from The Secret interviewed on Larry King in November. Bob spoke about Focus Days and Free Days.

Focus Days leverage the 80-20 rule. Typically 80% of our production (or you can think of effectiveness, or leverage, or achievements) come from 20% of our activities. The first step is to understand which activities deliver all of this benefit. Then, set aside Focus Days that are dedicated entirely to these activities.

Free Days are just that. You’re free to do whatever you want. Some studies apparently show that people with more free days become more successful. I have not seen any data on this, so don’t quote me!

I plan to start with one Focus Day and one Free Day per month.

Something to contemplate …

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good points about the Free Day and Focus Day philsophy. For me I tend to get so busy with either work or events that I forget to take the time. Free days are easy to create but just need to be scheduled. I'd be interested to learn how people identify their top 20% activities.

S. H. Southern said...

Kevin,
Good point regarding the challenge of identifying the activities that generate 80% of your production. On the surface, it seems simple. But I suspect one should do some digging to really understand those high-value-add activities.