Thursday, December 14, 2006

Honing My Systems

As many of you know, I am a great believer in systems. They help with both efficiency and effectiveness. I’ve developed my existing systems over many years and they’ve served me well. But they also require a periodic tune-up. Now is such a time.

I’m simply struggling to handle the volume. And the volume is definitely going to increase, until it eventually decreases (when I’m able to hire more staff).

I’m not currently keeping up with my reading, both work related and for pleasure. While I’ve been quite diligent with my morning workouts and runs, I have not kept up with my stretching. There are several stretches that help one’s golf game. I would also like to speak with at least one other Parmasters franchise owner at least weekly, but have not kept pace. Lastly, there are many more things I should be doing with this blog, such as writing actual articles, doing more promotion, etc.

And of course, a little more free time, to re-charge my batteries, would be welcomed also.

All of this suggests I need to become more efficient. I look to improved systems to accomplish this.

I had a similar conversation today with the incoming chair of The Kitchener and Waterloo Community Foundation’s Marketing Committee. I serve on the committee. I feel our meetings are very effective and efficient, but also feel there are ways to make better use of committee members’ time. Continuous improvement.

I make heavy use of my MS Outlook Calendar, and my Blackberry, to maintain my schedule. I have a recurring monthly appointment to review and revise how and where I spend my time. I also block off time weekly to ensure I’m working on the right things.

My friend and mentor Jim Estill – and this post really reads like something Jim would post about – has noted the difference between management (doing things efficiently and effectively) and leadership (doing the right things). This is also something I must continually review.

Lastly, I’m quite cognizant of the wisdom of Jay Paterson’s writings on Focus, Free and Buffer Days. While at this point – as I launch our first site in Waterloo Region – my schedule is very heavy, would I be more efficient and effective if I took more Free Days, or dedicated more Focus Days?

Much to ponder …

No comments: