Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Mired in Important and Urgent Tasks

I have an earlier than normal start tomorrow. My eldest son is playing school hockey at 7:00am at a local arena. That means a 5:30am rise, which is about an hour earlier than the norm.

I’ve been lamenting lately the amount of time I seem to spend on paperwork, GST returns, statements, etc. Thus, of late, I’ve also been thinking a fair bit about those Important but Non-urgent tasks that I have blogged about many times in the past.

To have a truly effective day, we must have both energy (to do the work) and focus (to know what work to do). Energy is generally not a problem, at least not for me. Focus, on the other hand, is where my thoughts have been lately.

I don’t believe I spend much time on Non-Important tasks. But rather, I believe it’s tasks that are Important and Urgent that are tying me up. And thus, I have little time left for those tasks that are Important and Non-urgent.

Of course, efficiency could form part of the solution. If I could become more efficient, I could accomplish more in the same amount of time.

So I suppose, I should be contemplating both focus and efficiency.

One area I must also explore is leverage. While we don’t have a large team yet at Parmasters Kitchener-Waterloo, we do have the nucleus of a very effective team. Perhaps other team members could share some of these Important and Urgent tasks.

Lots to think about. Solutions, we hope, to follow.

No comments: