Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Fire Trucks Needed Here

I find I’m playing a lot of catch-up these days. The volume of work is increasing and my systems aren’t keeping up.

Throughout most of January I just worked very long hours, taking 5 or 6 hours sleep per night. While I was able to keep up, I also became sick.

It’s important to develop systems and work habits that are sustainable in the long run. Clearly, for me at least, running on 5 or 6 hours of sleep per night is not such a system.

I generally use my weekends to catch up on tasks that have slipped during the week, and also to keep organized. Weekends are also a great time to work on those Important but Non-Urgent tasks.

I’ve been busy or away from the office for four out of the last five weekends. Thus, I haven’t had much opportunity to get caught up and organized.

I wrote a letter to the editor of The Record newspaper. It was published yesterday.

You can find it online here, or inline below.


Fire trucks needed here

I read with interest your Feb. 9 coverage of the Cambridge fire department's planned donation of two "worn-out city fire trucks" to Pakistan (Turmoil In Pakistan Stalls Fire Truck Gift).

I have no doubt that the trucks would be put to good use in Pakistan. However, they are also badly needed right here in Canada, in any one of the countless small town and village volunteer fire departments that dot our largely rural countryside.

I'm quite certain that in my hometown -- Cannington, Ont. -- the fire department would love to "upgrade" to these 18-year-old trucks. They would likely be able muster enough volunteers to physically push the trucks, by hand, the approximately 200 kilometres between Cambridge and Cannington.

Cannington made the news this past Thanksgiving weekend when a historic church and several vehicles were lost to arson.

Whether the trucks are donated to a community in Pakistan, or a rural community within Canada, I'm certain they'll be put to good use. I simply hope that the Cambridge fire department has at least considered domestic needs, rather than simply looking abroad.

Stephen Southern
Kitchener

No comments: