Monday, January 22, 2007

I Resolve To Stop And Ask

I’ve added some links to the right. So far I’ve concentrated on the major professional tours and local golf courses. I’ll likely add more links in the future. If you have suggestions, please let me know.

There’s no need for me to reinvent the wheel within the confines of this blog site. There are lots of wonderful golf hubs on the Internet. They provide links to news sources and much more. I will likely include links to these major hubs shortly.

As we sat through the funeral on Saturday it occurred to me that I tend to learn a lot about people at their funerals, as they are eulogized. I sat there rather displeased with myself. Why should that be the case? Why not ask people about their lives while their still with us, instead of hearing these fascinating stories from a relative after they’re gone?

I’m quite ashamed to say that this was the case with my very own maternal grandfather! I lost my paternal grandparents when I was quite young, but my maternal grandfather died fairly recently, in 1996. I remember his son, my uncle, noting grandpa’s love for newspapers and current events. He used to quiz my mother and uncle nightly, around the supper table, about news items from around the globe. They would have discussions. I had no idea. I have a similar interest in keeping abreast of the affairs of the world, and would likely have shared many more animated discussions with my grandfather, had I only asked.

Thus, suffice it to say, I have resolved to ask more people about their lives. To make more time to sit down and listen, truly listen. Everyone has many fascinating stories.

Here’s one more. Most people seem to enjoy this.

My paternal grandfather ran a bake shop. He’d have “traveling salesmen” stop by periodically, in the 1950’s and 1960’s, to sell him the latest gadget, or flour, or other items. One day he suspected a particular gentleman was stringing him quite a line. My grandfather had more sense, and tact, than to simply suggest that the man was not being truthful. So, the conversation apparently went something like this.
My grandfather: “You know, I was just wondering. You wouldn’t be lying to me by any chance, would you?”
Salesman: “Why, Mr. Southern, whatever do you mean? Why would you think that?”
My grandfather: “Well, it’s just that, well, you kind of remind me of me, when I’m lying to someone.”

There’s a lesson in there somewhere …

No comments: