Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Comments from Author on How Great Golfers Think

I recently read and reviewed Bob Skura’s book, How Great Golfers Think. My original post is here. Bob was kind enough to send some comments. The rest of this post is the note from Bob.

Steve:
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed reading How Great Golfers Think and I want to congratulate you for not being afraid to get into it. The feedback I get from some people is that they don't want to think about the mental game. They say things like: 'Don't get into my head. I don't want to think of anything when I'm on the course.' As you found out from reading the story, if you learn to think the right way you'll actually accomplish the goal of thinking less because your goals and your reasons why will be streamlined to eliminate all the unproductive thoughts that most people carry around with them.

Another reason why golfers should spend more time on the mental game is because it completes a two-pronged approach. Body builders know that to develop muscles a person must work the flexors in opposition to the tensors. You need to work the triceps to increase the strength of the biceps. In a similar fashion golfers need to develop their mental games in conjunction with their physical games or they'll plateau very quickly regardless of their handicap. How Great Golfers Think gives them a chance to do this and I think that's why leading instructors like Henry Brunton, Dr. Jim Suttie and David Glenz are using it in their programs.

You were asking if I've had any interesting experiences since publishing the book. There have been many but one that was a lot of fun was meeting two of the Big Break P.E.I. contestants when I spoke last week at the Canadian Tour stop in Seaforth. I met Derek Gillespie and Eugene Smith. Eugene was the guy on the show with the quirky swing but I can tell you from watching him that he has very good ball flight. He's proof positive that there's more to the game than mechanics. Not only that but he's a student of David Glenz and read my book so he wanted to meet me which was an interesting turn around.

Until next time.

Bob Skura

No comments: