Monday, February 23, 2009

Will the People be the Center?

Trivia: “Who has the most top-10 career finishes at 358? A) Byron Nelson B) Jug McSpaden C) Billy Casper D) Sam Snead” Answer below.

I was sitting in the airport in Calgary (last week) catching up on some email when I was reminded of a reality we'll face at Parmasters KW. A reality we must embrace and celebrate.

As I quoted last week, "All progress begins by telling the truth." -Dan Sullivan. We must embrace our truth.

As I looked up from my Blackberry I noticed a gentleman - perhaps early 60's - walking past, carrying a fairly new, seemingly well-made, ergonomically-designed backpack. This, in and of itself, would not have been significant. It was the way in which he was carrying said backpack.

I can only imagine the chagrin with which the backpack designers (and engineers) would have looked on, in utter disbelief, had they two witnessed this gentleman. I'm sure he was very nice, but his method of carrying a backpack was not what the ergonomics folks had in mind.

How can I describe this? He carried the pack by one strap, slung over one shoulder. (Not how you've seen before! Trust me!) The pack was slung perfectly horizontal from his right shoulder. The strap straddled his shoulder exactly in the middle of said strap. There was no padding on the strap there. The padded part of the strap was all behind his shoulder. The other strap hung loose, dangling below the pack. And because this felt rather precarious to the gentleman, he had his right arm wrapped firmly around the pack, holding it close to his right side, his right hand beneath the pack, in some sort of head/backpack lock grip.

This was not what the designers envisioned. At all!

And similarly, the thousands of members and other patrons that visit us at Parmasters KW will not always utilize their golf training center as we envision.

And that's great!

Shortly thereafter I was standing next to one of the large mobiles in the common area around gates D45 to D50. I think they're called "mobiles", like what one would suspend over a baby's crib, to entertain; only these were on a much larger scale.

Anyway, they were not moving, not going round and round. They were idle. I just assumed they were turned off. But that wasn't the case.

A young boy came running up, as excited as could be. He grabbed on to a large key, that I hadn't even noticed (three feet from where I stood), and he turned this key.

And the mobile began to turn.

And many of the tired, grown-up, serious travelers, a few hundred perhaps, looked up, and smiled, and enjoyed the sight of these simplistic machines going round and round.

That one child did all that.

I was reminded of a young man I'm getting to know. I was reminded of a young lady too. And of course, of my two sons.

And I was reminded of how people of all kinds are going to bring life to Parmasters KW. Perhaps the center will not truly be the center.

Perhaps the people will be the center.

And the answer: “D) Sam Snead”

No comments: