Friday, January 23, 2009

You’ve Got a Friend

Trivia: This one seems highly appropriate, as the Hope is being contested this week! And as an aside, while it’s nice to see our own Mike Weir off to a great start on the season, you also have to feel for him just a little. As I understand it, he went 62 and 70 on Wednesday and Thursday, and is STILL a full EIGHT strokes north of the lead as he starts his Friday round. Clearly, as is always the case, the courses are set up to ensure the amateurs in the field are able to knock it around with some semblance of self-respect.

“How many different courses are played each year during the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic? A) One B) Two C) Three D) Four” Answer below.

I was able to attend a concert last night at the Center in the Square, featuring the music of James Taylor. His music, and lyrics, are all so poetic, and often very thought provoking. Given the historic events south of the border this week, and Taylor’s controversial, outspoken and very activist political past, the timing seemed quite appropriate.

It was a wonderful concert and a wonderful time. I’m very blessed.

Today I’ll be staffing – and working within – our Temporary Event Center (TEC) at Market Square, except over the lunch hour.

And this morning, as I type, because I’m already significantly behind schedule!, my eldest is writing his first high school exam. Science. His science mark was significantly below expectations early in the semester. Because he had just started high school, and was also playing football, and gearing up for hockey, I was a little concerned that his focus was misplaced. But, as it turns out, he had some unfortunate issues, not entirely his fault, with two projects, which had dragged down his early performance. And, in addition, his teacher had issues with the performance of the entire class. I spoke to him. His teacher spoke to everyone, and no doubt made a few things very clear. And voila, his marks, and those of his peers, are back up where they belong.

My youngest, attended his first middle-school DANCE, of all things, yesterday. The last two periods of the day were dedicated to a dance. I asked him how the dance was. “It sucked.” (I wasn’t very impressed with that particular phrase, and explained that I didn’t want to hear it again.) I then asked if he danced at all. “No.” But I did learn that one of his friends did dance. Interesting times.

For now, it’s time to get back at it. I’ll leave you with the lyrics to one of the more popular songs at the concert last night, “You’ve Got a Friend.”


When you’re down and troubled
And you need a helping hand
And nothing, whoa nothing is going right.
Close your eyes and think of me
And soon I will be there
To brighten up even your darkest nights.

You just call out my name,
And you know wherever I am
I’ll come running, oh yeah baby
To see you again.
Winter, spring, summer, or fall,
All you have to do is call
And I’ll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.
You’ve got a friend.

If the sky above you
Should turn dark and full of clouds
And that old north wind should begin to blow
Keep your head together and call my name out loud
And soon I will be knocking upon your door.
You just call out my name and you know where ever I am
I’ll come running to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you got to do is call
And I’ll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Hey, ain’t it good to know that you’ve got a friend?
People can be so cold.
They’ll hurt you and desert you.
Well they’ll take your soul if you let them.
Oh yeah, but don’t you let them.

You just call out my name and you know wherever I am
I’ll come running to see you again.
Oh babe, don’t you know that,
Winter spring summer or fall,
Hey now, all you’ve got to do is call.
Lord, I’ll be there, yes I will.
You’ve got a friend.
You’ve got a friend.
Ain’t it good to know you’ve got a friend.
Ain’t it good to know you’ve got a friend.
You’ve got a friend.


And the answer: “D) Four”

No comments: