Monday, July 30, 2007

Took A Free Day

I took Sunday off. I did some reading but no work at all. I didn’t even return any emails. It’s been busy. Sunday was a Free Day. Jay Paterson blogged about this many months ago here.

I’ve been thinking more and more about this concept of Focus and Free days, and how to best spend the 168 hours we have each week. I’ve re-read Jay’s post a few times.

It’s such a departure from my normal modus operandi. I generally work a lot. Almost every day.

I remember speaking with a friend recently. We’ll keep his identity confidential. He invited me to his cottage. I noted that I was rather busy and don’t really take very many days off. He replied, “I know. That’s why you should come to the cottage.” Point well taken!

I didn’t fully enjoy my Free Day on Sunday. All day I was hoping to get some good news, some great news really, and it never did arrive. The great news did finally arrive today, although it was short lived. But, we accept what life sends our way and treasure every moment. We act with great belief, intention and industry. And we continue to believe no matter what comes our way and no matter how many obstacles appear before us.

I was reminded yesterday of this telling quote:
“The art of resting the mind and the power of dismissing from it all care and worry is probably one of the secrets of our great men.” -Captain J.A. Hatfield

No comments: