Friday, July 17, 2009

Tough Day for Weir

I’ve just heard an update from The Open Championship and Canada’s favourite golfing son Mike Weir has apparently “blown up” during his second round. My latest update puts him at 8 over on the day after 17 holes and tied for 108th.

Of course, it’s very early in the second round, but it looks like Mr. Weir will have the weekend off. He’s amongst some prestigious company at T108 currently, including Ben Curtis, Charles Howell III, Colin Montgomerie, Paul Casey and Tim Clark.

Thank you to my ScoreMobile Blackberry application from Score Media Inc. for the latest updates.

I’ve decided I’ll take my two boys and head to the Mike Weir Charity Classic on Monday. We’re looking forward to taking in some great golf and hopefully some summer weather, for a change.

As I practiced on the driving range at Rebel Creek the other day, and I watched the varied swings and abilities of the others on the range, I was reminded of yet another Thoreau quote, adjusted slightly by yours truly:

“I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life [and his golf game] by conscious endeavour.” -Henry David Thoreau (from Walden: Or, Life in the Woods)

Mike Weir knows this, and lives it every day, including today. Hopefully many of those on the range yesterday will visit Parmasters Kitchener-Waterloo and take up some Straight-Line Golf (tm), aka hitting the ball long and straight.

No comments: