Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Clarity of Thought

I’ve just returned from a morning walk. I find walking leads to a clarity of thought that is seldom matched.

Walking, for me at least, affords a different type of peace than meditating, or being perfectly still. Somehow, in the act of walking, I achieve clarity in my priorities related to work, business and other industry. Those tasks that must be accomplished now stand out from others that can wait.

As I walk, new tasks or directions also come to the fore, and are quickly prioritized based on urgency and importance. (I’ve blogged about the urgency and importance methods previously here.)

Whilst I’d never claim to be representative of this quote in any way, shape nor form, this truth did come to mind this morning.

“The art of resting the mind and the power of dismissing from it all care and worry is probably one of the secrets of our great men.” -Captain J.A. Hatfield

Clearly, as I walk, my mind does not rest entirely. But “care and worry” are dismissed entirely, and replaced with industry and action. The resulting power is tremendous.

As Terry Gulick said, “If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.”

No comments: