Wednesday, March 04, 2009

A Very Special Day

Trivia: “Who was the first American captain of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews?” Answer below.

I found today’s trivia item quite surprising, as I wasn’t aware the non-Brits ever occupied the Captaincy. I try to ask my children daily questions about what they learn each day, and what they can do with their newfound knowledge. I too now have newfound knowledge. But I’m not sure what I can do with it.

Today is a very special day in the life of this blogger. Four years ago my life changed in incredible ways. Many people experience life-changing events. Not all of us do, but many do. We often don’t realize the event is life-changing until much time has passed. I’m not sure I realized right away, but I’m also not sure that, on some level, I didn’t realize. One thing’s for sure, that this world is incredible, this life is incredible, and it will surprise you and delight you in ways you cannot possibly imagine, if you just relinquish a little control and let things happen!

There’s been some wonderful news out of RBC and the Stephen Ames camp. This is great news for the future of our grand game! You can read a snippet here, and also below. Thank you to Golf News Now for this information.


Stephen Ames Cup Gets RBC Support

March 3, 2009 by GNN

RBC, the title sponsor of the Canadian Open, has extended its golf sponsorships to include the Stephen Ames Cup, an international Ryder Cup format played between juniors from Canada and Trinidad and Tobago.





“From a player’s perspective, RBC’s leadership role in revitalizing the Canadian Open has had immediate impact and I look forward to supporting them in their efforts to elevate the national championship in the future,” said Ames, a Canadian citizen who grew up in Trinidad and Tobago.

“I am especially delighted to have their support for the Stephen Ames Cup and, more importantly, junior golf,” added the three-time PGA Tour winner.

“Every year, I look forward to watching these young people develop the skills and confidence they will use for the rest of their lives and I am excited that RBC will be there to share the experience.”

Ames founded the Stephen Ames Foundation in 2005 to provide funding for junior golf programs and created the Stephen Ames Cup, which will be played for the fifth time this August in Calgary. Each country hosts the event in alternate years.


And the answer: “Francis Ouimet received that honor [sic] in 1951.”

No comments: