Saturday, March 28, 2009

Fifteen Minutes on the Most Difficult Task

Trivia: “What is the governing body for golf outside the United States and Mexico?” Answer below.

I’m in the office, our Temporary Event Center, at Market Square, this morning. I work here most Saturday mornings.

I’m working on a report this morning, which is a task I often find rather daunting. While I enjoy some writing, it can be extremely frustrating when it doesn’t come naturally or easily. I try to follow some of the old adages, such as just write something, anything, just write. And that helps.

I also follow something that friend and colleague, Jim Estill, likes to espouse. He maintains that he can do just about anything for fifteen minutes. So when a task seems daunting, just promise yourself that you’ll dive in and work on it for fifteen minutes. You’ll generally be amazed at what you accomplish in those fifteen minutes, and often be inspired to keep going for much longer.

Yesterday I read a brief blog entry on The Positivity Blog. The point of the message, “Start each day with doing the hardest/ most important/ most uncomfortable thing first.”

Well, time to get back to my report, for at least fifteen minutes.

And the answer: “The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews”

No comments: