Monday, August 13, 2007

Three Key Accomplishments

I’ve recently started a new practice of quiet contemplation and planning first thing each morning. I’ve set aside the first half hour of each day, generally from 6:30 to 7:00am, but this morning it was 5:30 to 6:00am.

The purpose, if summed up in one word, would be “focus.” It’s about doing the right things, and also doing those things well.

I spend part of this time reaffirming the path that I and my loved ones have chosen. There will always be a long way to go. Visions are meant to stretch us, to challenge us. We must believe that we can have and achieve those circumstances in life that bring us fulfillment and true happiness. Otherwise, why are we here and what are we doing?

I also ensure that my view of the current situation is accurate. Great minds have said that one of the keys to success is acknowledging your current situation. As Dan Sullivan noted, “all progress begins by telling the truth.”

From there, it’s a fairly simple matter to determine what must be done next. “It does not take much strength to do things, but it requires a great deal of strength to decide what to do.” So spoke Elbert Hubbard. In this step there is always the temptation to be blinded by urgency, and to not consider importance. I blogged about the difference here.

At the end of this process, I have a list of three accomplishments for the day. I then proceed through my day, focused on these three key accomplishments, thankful that I have already achieved them.

And by nightfall, I generally have achieved the three key accomplishments for the day. Time for sleep, and the next three key accomplishments.

No comments: