Monday, August 27, 2007

Mentoring

I’ve been thinking a lot about mentors lately. Specifically, I’m considering approaching one or two individuals to see if they would lend their expertise, as a mentor. I would hope to meet with each regularly, perhaps monthly, or bi-weekly, to discuss challenges, successes and new opportunities.

I set time aside this past Saturday to build a short list of potential candidates. Obviously I’m considering their business and life experience, how well we get along, whether they can spare the time, etc.

I’ve enjoyed great relationships with mentors in the past, whether they were formally declared as such or not. I’ve also mentored others, both formally – having been asked to mentor – and informally, which just happens.

I’ve also worked with advisory boards in the past. A good advisory board can be like a mentor. In my case, my advisors helped launch a business and kept me focused on the most critical tasks. Sometimes they were gentle and, well, nurturing. At other times they were brutally honest, and even angry. At all times, they cared and were very much engaged.

I’m looking for the same dynamic from any mentor that I approach. I’m looking for honesty. A kind and positive word when appropriate. A kick in the butt when appropriate.

My only concern as I take this path is ensuring that the time is well spent and well worth it, both for me and for the mentor. I will receive business coaching. The mentor will receive the satisfaction of having helped, and perhaps a free breakfast periodically.

However, if I don’t listen to the coaching, or don’t follow at least some of the advice offered, them I’m not really receiving business coaching. And, in that case, my mentor clearly won’t receive any satisfaction from having helped.

Thus, clearly, it’s back to my list. It’s critically important that I approach the right individual. Hopefully he’ll say yes.

No comments: