Friday, August 24, 2007

Healthy Habits

We’ve made some significant progress on my fronts this week. It’s an exciting time. We’ve started designing our space, our floor plan. We’re talking to suppliers about the larger pieces of equipment we will need, arranging any required financing, etc. And of course, we continue to work closely with our landlord on a variety of details.

I received a rather vague email from a friend’s assistant yesterday. My colleague wants to book a meeting to talk about a job/role that I’ve never heard of. I’m not sure if it’s his company or mine. But, the fact is, this colleague is a “rainmaker.” He makes things happen, lots of things, lots of very good things. It’s a distinct pleasure to have him in my network of friends. I’m hoping he needs a favour, as he’s helped me immeasurably lately. We’ll book the meeting!

Another friend, Jim Estill, posted a blog entry recently that focused on an article on healthy habits from Web MD. These are the habits, along with how I’m doing on each.

1 – Eat breakfast every morning – I never miss either a bowl of cold cereal (Shreddies) with skim milk or peameal bacon and eggs over medium with whole wheat toast.

2 – Get enough Omega-3 – I rarely eat fish, and while I do take a vitamin supplement, it likely doesn’t satisfy my Omega-3 requirements.

3 – Get enough sleep – I’m currently only getting 5.5 to 6.5 hours per night, with the odd night of 7 or 8 hours, and also the odd night of 4 hours or so.

4 – Make social connections – I’ve fallen down on this lately, focusing on the business.

5 – Exercise – I tend to workout (resistance training) three days a week for close to an hour each day, and I try to run once a week but have definitely missed many weeks lately.

6 – Practice good dental hygiene – I’m doing ok on this front.

7 – Take up a hobby – Do sports count? I golf in the summer and play hockey in the winter.

8 – Protect your skin – Again, I think I’m fairly diligent.

9 – Snack the healthy way – I could improve here. I don’t snack often, but when I do it’s usually toast, or something worse, like a few chips or desserts.

10 – Drink water and eat dairy – I drink a lot of water, eat some cheese, and enjoy skim milk with my breakfast cereal.

11 – Drink tea – I took up the coffee habit fairly recently. I’ve tried green tea, but don’t enjoy it. I may have to rethink this after reading the article.

12 – Take a daily walk – I generally walk when golfing, but rarely otherwise. I do get the odd hike in, the last of which was, by far, the most incredible experience I’ve ever had in the wilderness! I’d like to hike a lot more! I find some of my best ideas come to me while walking, and yet I rarely make time for it. I should make a change.

13 – Plan – This I do diligently. I’m a “planner”, in this sense, unlike some people I know. ;)

No comments: