Friday, October 05, 2007

Oktoberfest

I’ve just returned from my eldest son’s first hockey practice. Well, not officially his first, just his first for this season. He’s played defense for years but may play right wing this coming season. It was nice to hear him so excited about the coaching staff, the team and the season that lies before him.

Earlier today I attended – for the very first time – the official keg tapping that kicks off Oktoberfest. Wunderbar! I’d always wanted to attend, but never found the time.

This year I was also interested in how the festivities affected the downtown core. The event was held, and I guess is always held, in the civic square in front of Kitchener City Hall. King Street was closed in front of City Hall, but open elsewhere. There’s a temporary (tent) fest hall on Frederick Street, between King and Duke Streets, and other installations, also on Frederick, between King and Charles Streets.

Thinking pessimistically, I might lament that these temporary road closures will make life difficult for our members and other clients as they enter and exit Parmasters Kitchener-Waterloo, to be located within Market Square at the corner of King and Frederick Streets. However, I don’t like to think pessimistically.

In reality, Oktoberfest is great for the downtown core, and it will be great for our center and our members and clients as well. While ingress and egress may be slightly more challenging during Oktoberfest and other festivals, the festivals themselves offer countless benefits. I can’t wait till next year, to see what our staff comes up with as we help Kitchener-Waterloo celebrate Oktoberfest!

For now, it’s soon time to call it a night.

No comments: